St Peter’s School are committed to supporting on-going training for all their staff.
Our staff have participated in many training courses during the course of this year including:
· Delivering intervention programmes such as High Five (writing programme for Year 5).
· Phonics and phonological awareness
· Hearing impairment in the classroom
· Auditory Processing Disorder and implications for the classroom
· Dyslexia Awareness in the Classroom
· ELKLAN (speech and language)
· Lifting and Handling training
· Feeding tubes and pumps training
· Development of Speech Sounds
· Development of Vocabulary
· Penn Resilience Programme
We also have members of staff with specific qualifications relating to SEN.
Mrs Boggis – has a National Award for SEN Co-ordination and PG Certificate in Vulnerable Learning
Mrs Elder – has a Trinity TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) diploma, an OCR Level 5 in Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia) and an Advanced Diploma in the Teaching of Maths at Cambridge University.
Mrs Tilley – has British Sign Language Level 3
We also work with many different specialist services from our local authority and the NHS including:
· Speech and language therapy
· Educational psychology
· Occupational therapy
· Communication Disorders Team
· Windermere SpLD Base
· Hearing Impairment Team
· Physical and Neurological Impairment Team
· Child and Adolesent Mental Health service
· Clinical Psychologists
· Children’s Community Nurses
· Great Ormond Street Hospital
Your child may work with one of these services if a referral to that service is made. This may come through your GP, paediatrician or through our school. We would seek advice from a specialist service if we feel that they could have a positive impact on your child’s progress through sharing their expertise in an area of need. This would be discussed with you and your permission sought before any referral is made.